We like supporting local businesses—after all, it creates new jobs, encourages innovation, and strengthens our community. The truth is, though, that’s not the main reason we’re so committed to anything and everything local. Really, we’re just in love with what West Michigan has to offer—the unique people and products that populate every corner of the region.
Bursting with amazing talent, innovation, and services, our area has an answer to every business need, craving, or wish list. We love our Herman Miller furniture, our Prospector’s coffee, our burgeoning tech scene, and—yes—our Founders beer (as well as brews from dozens of other local breweries).
Do you want to do your part? Here are just a few easy ways to get the most out of your community.
- Get to know your area. Check out sites like Experience Grand Rapids to find new places to go, including hidden gems you may have overlooked.
- Join local networking groups. We like using Meetup and Experience Grand Rapids to connect with like-minded people who share our passion.
- Eat local. This one’s easy. Chow down on really good food from the local artisans and chefs who make up our increasingly hot food scene. Here is a list of the top-rated restaurants in the area from 2016!
- Shop local. West Michigan is home to some top shops. Check out our maker’s fair or any one of the area’s other fantastic locally run businesses.
- Hire local. Tap into West Michigan’s rich local talent to meet whatever need your business has. MLive’s job board is a great place to find some of the region’s best and brightest candidates.
So what are some ways you support your community? Take our #GoLocalMI challenge and show us your favorite West Michigan people, places, and products on Twitter or Facebook!